AM I ELIGIBLE TO DONATE PLASMA
Candidates for our specialty plasma donation program must experience an antibody-mediated medical condition (moderate to severe allergies, certain autoimmune diseases, certain viral and bacterial diseases, rare red blood cell antibodies) and is screened for our program to determine eligibility. The screening process may include a blood sample for antibody testing. Screening appointments take place at our plasma donation center in Everett WA.
At PlasmaLab, we strictly adhere to Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations. Some experiences, health conditions, or medications may temporarily or permanently prevent persons from donating plasma.
Please review the following FDA and PlasmaLab (PLI) plasma donation requirements to determine if any of the exclusions apply to you. Individuals ages 18 to 68 may qualify to participate in our Antibody Plasma Donation program. Ages 16, 17, and 68+, please see information below.
Please ask to speak to a PlasmaLab technician if you have any questions about your eligibility to donate plasma. Please note: For those accepted into our Antibody Plasma Donation programs, all plasma donations take place at our plasma donation center in Everett WA. Questions? Call 425-258-3653.
We greatly appreciate your desire to participate in our blood plasma donation program to help medical and diagnostic research.
LIST OF EXCLUSIONS
- Ever been diagnosed or received treatment for HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B (HBV) or Hepatitis C (HCV).
- Ever had a transplant, such as organ or bone marrow.
- Ever had any major problems with heart, lungs, liver, or kidneys.
- Ever been exposed during a medical procedure to a live organ, cells, or tissues from an animal (xenotransplant).
- In past 12 months, had sexual contact with a person who has hepatitis OR lived with a person that has hepatitis.
- In past 12 months, been in a juvenile detention, lock up, jail, or prison for more than 72 hours consecutively.
- In past 12 months, received bone, tissue, or skin during surgery.
- In past 4 months, donated a double unit of red blood cells via apheresis machine.
- In past 3 months, had a blood transfusion, received other blood products, or came into contact with someone else’s blood.
- In past 3 months, had a tattoo in an unlicensed facility or a piercing under non-sterile conditions.
- In past 3 months, had or received treatment for syphilis or gonorrhea.
- In past 3 months, had sexual contact with anyone who has had HIV or tested positive for the HIV virus.
- In past 3 months, had sexual contact with anyone who received money, drugs, or other payments for sex.
- In past 3 months, had sexual contact with anyone who has ever used needles to take drugs, steroids, or anything not prescribed by their doctor.
- In past 3 months, used needless to take drugs, steroids, or anything not prescribed by their doctor.
- Male Donor: Have had sex with another man in the last 3 months.
- Female Donor: In the past 3 months, had sex with a man who had sexual contact with another male in the last 3 months.
- Currently take Warfarin or another anticoagulant (blood thinner). If you do, please contact us before making an appointment.
- Have a history of anemia (low blood count).
- Have very small veins or have difficult blood draws.
- Have phobia of needles and/or blood.
- Have passed out during blood draw or blood/plasma donation.
- Been deferred as a donor by another blood or plasma donation center.
- Been pregnant in last 6 weeks or trying to get pregnant.
- Weigh less than 110 pounds.
- Between the ages of 16 and 17, signed parental/legal guardian consent and attendance at screening appointment is required.
- Over the age of 68 (for ages 68 and over, a physician’s note is required to participate).
- From 1980 through 1996, you spent time that adds up to 3 months or more in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, Gibraltar, and/or the Falkland Islands.
- From 1980 through 2001, you spent time that adds up to 5 years or more in France and/or Ireland.
- From 1980 to the present, you received a blood transfusion in France, Ireland, England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, Gibraltar, or the Falkland Islands.
- Do you understand the donor exclusion criteria?
- Do any of the exclusions apply to you?
- If you have questions about the criteria, please contact us at 425.258.3653.
MEDICATION DEFERRALS AND EXCLUSIONS
- In past 1 month, have you been treated with one of the following: Isotretinoin, Absorica, Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, Myorisan, Sotret, or Zenatane?
- In past 1 month, have you been treated with one of the following: Finasteride, Propecia, or Proscar?
- In past 1 month, have you been treated with one of the following: Thalidomide or Thalomid?
- In past 1 month, have you been treated with one of the following: Upadacitinib or Rinvoq?
- In past 1 month, have you been treated with one of the following: Valproate, Valproic Acid Sodium, Valproate, Depakote, Depakote (ER), Convulex, Epilim, or Stavzor?
- In past 6 months, have you been treated with one of the following: Dutasteride, Avodart, or Jalyn?
- In past 2 years, have you been treated with one of the following: Leflunomide or Arava?
- In past 2 years, have you been treated with one of the following: Teriflunomide or Aubagio?
- In past 2 years, have you been treated with one of the following: Vismodegib, Sonidegib, Erivedge, or Odomzo?
- In past 3 years, have you been treated with one of the following: Acitretin or Soriatane?
- Have you ever been treated with one of the following: Etretinate or Tegison?
- In past 12 months, have you been treated with one of the following: Hepatitis B Immune Globulin, HepaGam B, HyperHEP B S/D, or Nabi-HB?
- Have you ever been treated with any experimental or unlicensed vaccine or medication? (Note: Individuals who have received the Moderna, Pfizer, or Johnson & Johnson COVID 19 vaccination(s) are eligible to participate in plasma donations at PlasmaLab.)
- If you are taking or have taken these medications, you may not be eligible to donate PLASMA, whole blood, or platelets.
- If any of these medication deferrals or exclusions applies to you, please contact us at 425.258.3653 to review your medical history.